Surgery Day

I have never had surgery before, except getting my wisdom teeth out, which was a whole ordeal in itself. Given the whole pre-op “you could lose your ovary” information I stayed really calm. To really put that in perspective you should know I have to take valium to get a cavity filled.

The weekend before we had a BBQ on Saturday where I definitely drank more than I should have, likely just due to nerves.  We spent the rest of the weekend laying low.  I got a pedicure and didn’t eat much because I was instructed to “clean out” my system.  Monday I started my soup diet (a great friend was sweet enough to bring me a pot of homemade chicken noodle) and Tuesday was go time.

My surgery was at noon, which is so annoying with the whole “no food or water” thing.  I tried to sleep as late as I could which wasn’t that late.  We left earlier than we need too, to be there an hour early as instructed.  I was calm, but also not in the mood to just sit around and wait at home.  I wanted to just get it over and done already!

We stayed in the car in the parking lot and listened to some of my favorite Christian music for a few minutes since we were so early.   It always makes me feel more at ease.  Once we went in it all went pretty fast.  I signed in at the front desk and forked over some cash to pay the surgery center.  Thankfully this was actually partially covered by my insurance (a lot of the previous tests/visits are not covered), and I had hit my deductible so insurance kicked in at 80/20.  Even paying just 20 percent out of pocket was several hundred dollars.  L

My husband and I sat in the waiting room for a few minutes and they came to get me.  I am still not really clear why they didn’t invite him into the pre-op area.  Every other person there had a significant other or family member with them.  They did the usual, weight, blood pressure, temp ect.   Then asked me a million questions, and again I got to get all fancied up in a hospital gown.  All of the nurses were so very sweet.  They really made me feel comfortable.  At one point the surgical nurse asked me if I had come alone.  When I told her my husband was in the waiting room I think the pre-op nurse realized she made a mistake and she went to find him.  I am not sure where he had gone off to but she came back and told me he wasn’t in the waiting room (later I found out he went to get food).  The time went really fast and Dr. M came in to exchange pleasantries and ask where my husband was (because it was so awkward he wasn’t next to me!).  Apparently Dr. M. went to the waiting area and by that time he had returned because Dr. M came back to verify that was him by what he was wearing.  Minutes later I was being wheeled into the operating room.  I moved from my pre-op bed on to the table and that was it. My butt hit the table and LIGHTS. OUT.

Next thing I knew I was in recovery finally with my husband by my side.  And I hurt. BAD.  Obviously this part is a little fuzzy as I was coming out of my anesthesia but I do recall being given some crackers and water so I could take a pain pill.  Unfortunately those didn’t stick around in my stomach very long, so the kind nurse gave me some nausea meds in my IV and I drifted off again for who knows how long.

The next time I woke up things were slightly better.  I didn’t feel sick.  I did feel pain.  The very sweet nurse kindly told me that “this would not be a pain free day”.  I sipped a little more water and over the next hour actually started to feel a lot better (relative to where I started of course).  The nurse gave us some home care instructions and said we could go home!  This was great news because it was still before rush hour, and I get motion sick on my best day so sitting in traffic after surgery would probably be a disaster.  My husband went to pull the car up and I hopped in to my sweet ride (ie Wheelchair).  The nurse told me to I should use the bag they had kept my clothes in as a “just in case”.  Good call on her part.  We made it no more than 20 feet before the crazy nausea set in once again.  What a rough ride to the car.  Thankfully since I could lay down in the car on the way home, that part actually was ok and I didn’t feel sick at all.  I finally made it to bed, took a real pain pill, and passed out.  What a day.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s